Mary Jane West from Brooklyn, New York.
I think it was her frisky irreverence that triggered my affection for Mae West – she was spunky at a time when spunky women raised eyebrows and challenged the morals of the day.
She was, however, an advocate for women’s issues, gay rights and freedom of speech long before it was vogue. Her quick wit and double entendres live on to this day.
I have decided that if she had been born in this day and age, she could have been an on-line entrepreneur without switching up any of her lines at all!!
In her own words, she could have coached:
- On focus: “I’m a woman of very few words, but lots of action.“
- On delivering the goods: “An ounce of performance is worth pounds of promises.”
- On learning: “A dame that knows the ropes isn’t likely to get tied up.”
- On marketing your website: “It is better to be looked over than overlooked.“
- On copywriting: “Too many girls follow the line of least resistance–but a good line is hard to resist.“
- On giving a client what they want: “Don’t keep a man guessing too long – he’s sure to find the answer somewhere else.“
- On the rinse and repeat method: “I’ll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure.“
- On letting your audience know you: “Personality is the glitter that sends your little gleam across the footlights and the orchestra pit into that big black space where the audience is.“
- On getting it right: “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
- On being real “It isn’t what I do, but how I do it. It isn’t what I say, but how I say it, and how I look when I do it and say it.“
- On success: “Too much of a good thing can be wonderful.”
Lessons that I think we could take from the immortal Miss West include spunkyness, tolerance, a lot of perseverance, and a healthy respect for your audience.
She also said: “He who hesitates is last!“
Don’t hesitate to tell me about your spunky side!
I never really knew who she was but her sayings were great.
And on Attraction Marketing: “Come up and see me some time!”
She has some fantastic quotes – I wish there was more of her talent around today.
Great post Agnes
My fave Mae West quote is….
“I used to be Snow White… but I drifted”
Here’s to the drifters….. 🙂
I only knew one Mae West line but I love the ones you have posted here. I need to get my spunky on.
I LOVE this post. All of those quotes are so true and fitting to the lesson you attached.
Letting our “spunky” side show can be scary but it really is the fastest way to build a relationship with new people, especially when they can’t see or touch you.
There’s no sense hiding who you are – people will find out sooner or later anyway.
Some great quotes from Mae West and yes I see what you mean. She could have been.
I too think Mae West was ahead of her times! Her quotes shows just how insightful she was. Great post. Thanks for sharing.
Great article Agnes,
love the quotes:)
Thank you for sharing!
Have a fantastic weekend!
Mae West does sound like a spunky lady. I always put out my personality into my writing and products because “Personality is the glitter that sends your little gleam across the footlights and the orchestra pit into that big black space where the audience is.” It is so very important to be yourself, mainly because it’s much easier than pretending to be someone else. Be your own spunky self and you’ll attract clients that will love you.
I love Mae West! Already as a child she inspired me. It must have been the spunkyness that spoke to me. Great post on an exceptional coaching style! 😀
what a woman!! I love her quotes